The chronicles of the Petershausen monastery first make mention of Sigmaringen Castle in 1077. A long history, this well preserved castle is a great place to explore. Tourico Vacations Reviews Sigmaringen Castle, a popular destination for travel.
The portions of the castle that were built during this time are hidden now underneath the several renovations that have been made throughout the years, specifically those made in the 1600s and the 1800s. Even though the first portions of the castle are still there, knowing just who built it and why remains shadowed. Excavations would have to be performed and, due to the way in which the land was developed, that would be impossible. There have been found the remains of many Romans in the land around Sigmaringen which has lent the Roman Tower its name.
Much of the castle has been preserved or restored, such as the gate and the great hall, which dates back to Staufer times around 1200. What remained of the castle by this time was simply integrated into the new buildings; for instance, the castle’s foundations are identical to those of the wall that surrounds the castle.
Judging by the appearance of those remains, it’s easy to imagine how the castle might have appeared in the early 1100s. The builders had defense in mind, as they varied the roof types, had many towers, and several gates. The round windows and panels in the flat solid walls highlighted the artistry of its builders.
As far as the 1200s-1300s, there were no renovations completed, as the castle shows no signs of note that would suggest anything occurring during this time; however, in the late 1400s, the Count of Werdenberg undertook an immense rebuilding period, expanding the castle and its grounds northeast. A portion of one of the towers still remains with the year 1498 engraved. In the early 1500s, they continued their building westward.
Only a few minor restorations occurred during the 1700s. An Ancestral Hall was built inside of the castle in 1736, and refurbished in 1879. For twenty years in the late 1800s, Josef Laur implemented neo-Gothic stylings throughout the building, and had to nearly completely redesign the entire castle after the Great Fire in 1893. The final round of restorations were completed in 1902, and added the Portuguese Gallery to the many renovations. Tourico Vacations Reviews Sigmaringen Castle and other great destinations for travel with you.